A trekking tent is very versatile. It is a comfortable, dry place when it rains, offering privacy in nature, a safe space free from dangerous and nasty insects. The tent is right for you depends on your needs, experience and a compromise between three factors: space, weight, and price.
Size and shape
When not using your tent to spend the night, a two-seater model is enough for two people. However, if you must spend more time, for example, due to inclement weather, it is recommended to choose a larger model (+ 1 or 2 people). For more convenient, you can opt for the best backpacking tent
Stability in the wind
The dome tents acquire their shape as soon as their structure is mounted. It is easier to place and direct them accurately or quickly rid the dust. The dome tents have a larger footprint than the tunnel tents. Additional hoops ensure greater stability in the wind. However, these tents must also be properly anchored not to fly.
The tents tunnel consist of several parallel arcs that give them their shape. Unlike dome tents, it is essential to align them with ropes. In the strong cross wind, tunnel tents are less stable than igloo type tent. The main advantage is a small weight and optimal use of the interior space with vertical walls. In surface and ground equal height, the tunnel tent offers a more consistent volume.
When comparing two models of similar size, the size of the land surface determines the future use of the tent. If the tunnel tents have an elongated rectangular surface, the dome tents offer space rather wait for all the end of the storm. The verticality of the side walls provide more space inside but make the tent more fragile in the wind.
Checklist for trekking tent
- Number of Persons: 2, 3 or more
- Weight and dimensions: base camp or place of mobile sleeping?
- Trekking Destination: weather on the site: sun, humidity, wind?
- Construction: cabin or dome?
- Material: High water column to the roof and the back of the tent
- Editing: the fewer arches and installation is quick and easy
- Apse (eaves): is there room for the equipment and the kitchen in case of bad weather?
- Never cooking inside the tent, the best in the apse (or the eaves).
Weight and functions
More you have to carry your tent, the longer its weight is substantial. For short distances or day trips around the tent (base camp), a larger and heavier model fits perfectly. However, if you carry your tent several hours a day, a lighter design is unavoidable. Additional features such as doors or large leaves provide more comfort but quickly right tent weight. Personal preferences ultimately decide the importance of different elements.
- An apse (eaves) offers more space and increases comfort. It provides luggage storage and dry, to dry wet clothes or storing shoes. The vestibules have an additional hoop are heavier but more stable in the wind.
- Channels sewed to the circles of the tent help better distribute the tension on large surfaces the clamp system. They also facilitate mounting when wearing gloves.
- The clamp system allows better circulation of air between the outer wire and the inside of the tent. At low temperatures, the plastic clamps, however, tend to break.
- Protected ventilation holes can be opened in any weather.
Here are some additional questions to help you find the right tent for you:
How many people usually sleep in the tent? To lighten their maximum weight, the tents are as tightly as possible. They are thus frequently very few spacious, what some people do not appreciate. We, therefore, recommend that tall person to opt for a tent in 2 or 3 places.
How far should I wear the tent? Should it be a featherweight? Weight tents seats 2 is 1.8 to 3.5 kg, 2.3 kg to 5.5 kg for those in three places. The weight per person should not exceed 1.2 kg. A value of 0.8 kg is optimal.
What is my budget and what can I offer myself on that basis? A tent at two places costing between 100 and 500 francs. The price of most models is between these two values. Normally, a higher price is a guarantee of better quality and less weight.
Under what conditions will be used the tent? Depending on the region and the season, the weather can vary significantly. It is recommended to choose a tent capable of withstanding the worst weather of the area visited.
For more information, visit http://www.familytentcenter.com/